Ulgi Lighthouse

HOME > Navigational Aid > Ulgi Lighthouse


ulgi lighthouse

  • As the Russo-Japanese War that began when Japan attacked the Russian fleet in Lushun Port on February 8 1904 heated up, the Japanese Navy realized the need to install the navigational aids to take advantage and discussed it with Korean Government. As the result, a wooden light post was installed on what used be a horse farm, and the Japanese Government handed it over to Korean Government after the war ended with the Portsmouth Peace Treaty on September 5 1905.
  • In March 1906, Korean Government began rebuilding 32 navigational aids including Ulgi Lighthouse that were hastily constructed during the war. On June 25 1910, Ulgi Lighthouse was rebuilt as 6m high octagonal concrete house and has been guiding the ships navigating along the east coast.
  • As the black pine tree grew up and covered the light, the lighthouse was moved around 50m from the original location on December 12 1987 and rebuilt as a beautiful candlestick shaped lighthouse. The original lighthouse is preserved as the Lighthouse Cultural Treasure No. 9 and Registered Cultural Treasure No. 106.

Structure and Characteristics of Tower

  • Structure : The original 6m high white octagonal tower and the new 24m high white octagonal tower exist in the area.
  • Characteristics : The old tower built in 1906 has very high cultural significance as it has the architectural characteristics of turn of the century while the new tower built in 1987 has aesthetic candlestick shaped design.